Friday, August 14, 2015

Friday Freebie and Teacher Spotlight




I hope that this has been a fantastic start to the school year for those who have started. It is my goal to bring you a Friday Freebie at the end of the week, just to make your day a little sweeter.  I'd also like to take a moment to highlight some of the achievements of fellow teachers.  This Proverb states that iron sharpens iron, so when we take time to appreciate and learn from others, we become better!

Image retrieved from http://postmodernpatriot.com/?p=273


Friday Freebie

Our schedule is a bit confusing this year.  The order of our classes is a little different (periods 1, 2, 8, 7, 3--according to what's written on the schedules) so my community leader, Mindy Sarlea, wisely decided to call each class a Block (Blocks A, B, C, and D) instead of a period.  I already had my numbers posted, but I had to change them to letters.  Instead of digging out my bulletin board supplies and hunting for the correct letters, or worse yet, going to the store because I didn't have any more As, I opened up this file, printed as many copies of only the letters I needed, and put them up in my room. (I even had students cut them out for me!)   This was so convenient and a fantastic time saver, so that is why I am making my Letters, Numbers, and Symbols Pack this week's Friday Freebie!  Download, save to your teacher computer, and enjoy!


Teacher Spotlight


Image retrieved http://e-devotion.blogspot.com/2012/07/honoring-others.html




This week's Teacher Spotlight winner is Chevin Stone.  Chevin is a science teacher at Gavit Middle School and also serves as the school's tech liaison.  Chevin has helped me in my journey towards becoming a better teacher by taking time out of her busy schedule to teach me about a Flipped Classroom.  She worked hard to launch The Gavit Educator and tirelessly provides the staff with professional development over Google Drive.  Let's hear from Chevin in her own words.



What is your name?
Chevin (rhymes with seven) Stone

What grade(s) and subject(s) do you teach?
8th Grade Science

Why did you become a teacher?
I come from a long line of teachers (4 generations at this point) and was told NOT to become a teacher. So I got a degree in Occupational Safety and Health and worked for many years in both the public and private sectors making lives safe for people. Part of that job involved adult education and training.

After getting laid off YET AGAIN, I was working as a parent volunteer in the school my children attended at the time and was hired to be an instructional assistant. It was then that I decided to go back to school.

For how many years have you been teaching?
12 years

What, as a teacher, is one thing that you're proud of and would like to share with others?
I'd like to think I"m proud of everything I've ever done. Teaching isn't a job, its a passion. Helping students, regardless of their age or station in life, to find meaning in the world around them isn't easy. When that light comes on and they "get it"... its something the teacher should be proud of; knowing they helped a student to embrace a concept, becoming comfortable with learning, and gaining a greater understanding of the world around them.

You can find and follow Chevin on social media.





Would you like to have an opportunity to be featured on my blog?  Click here to fill out the short form.  
If selected, you will win a $5 gift card to Teachers Pay Teachers!   






Have a FANTASTIC and RESTFUL weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment