Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Naomi Wasn't Supposed to be Born- Part 1 of 3

"Are you struggling with IBS again?" my husband asked me. "It looks like your stomach is poking out." This wasn't a strange or offensive question at all. My Type A personality caused me to experience painful bloating when the stresses of life became overwhelming.

"No," I responded. It was one of those rare occasions when I had put on something nice---Victoria Secret nice. My husband and I had been trying to conceive for several months, but to no avail. I secretly thought that it was because of his Type 1 diabetes. Of course, I never said that to him and I never blamed him for us not getting pregnant, but that's what I thought. I figured I would get pregnant when the Lord was ready for me to have a baby.

A few days later I also noticed a strange bulge on the left side of my stomach and was able to physically feel a lump. When I went to see my OB/GYN, I pointed out the lump to him. After performing an examination, he immediately sent me for an ultrasound to see what was going on. As soon as the sonographer  started the ultrasound, she said, "What have we here?" She was amazed at the number of fibroids that were in and around my uterus. She said that people with fibriods like this usually are not able to conceive. I wasn't upset or taken aback because I, and many others, had prayed that I'd have my own sweet baby GIRL some day, and I was confident it would happen.

http://theradiologytechnician.org/sonographer-facts-and-information/

Once my doctor got the results of the ultrasound, he sat me down to tell me my options. I could either take Lupron in hopes of shrinking the fibroids long enough to conceive and have a baby, or he could attempt to perform a myomectomy since I was young (33 yrs. old) and desperately wanted a child. He was very clear about not knowing if my uterus could be saved or what kind of damage it would sustain as a result of the surgery, but the choice was mine. After consulting my father-in-law, a pharmacist of 30+ years, and spending time in prayer, I decided to move forward with the surgery. I was confident that the Lord would spare my uterus and allow me to conceive. I remember saying, "This isn't ideal, but at least the fibroids were caught before I became pregnant. This way, I'll be able to carry a child."

My final appointment and ensuing surgery were scheduled for the end of the first week of March (2012). Five days before my appointment, I realized that I hadn't had my period. I thought it was due to stress, but I decided to take a pregnancy test anyway. Much to my surprise, the test was positive!

http://chelseythall.com/a-sweet-blessing/positive-pregnancy-test


Little did I know, my life was about to be thrown into a whirlwind.

Read part 2 here.
Read part 3 here.


No comments:

Post a Comment